MKS - SLOW PITCH
RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. The league will establish practice and game schedules.
2. Our facility is smoke free, including e-cigs. Please notify parents and enforce this rule as needed.
3. The league does not carry medial insurance on players; each parent is responsible for his or her child’s insurance.
4. Team drinks are available at a discount from the concession stand.
5. Teams will consist of a Head Coach, 2 Assistant Coaches and a Dugout Helper. The league will provide 3 coaches shirts, an optional 4th shirt is available at cost. The coaches shirts must be worn in order to be allowed onto the field of play, there will be no exceptions. Only the Head Coach, Assistant Coaches and Dugout Helper should be allowed in the dugout during a game.
6. Head Coaches are responsible for making sure all background checks and other required paperwork for their team has been submitted to the league before he/she including Assistant Coaches are allowed on the playing field. Background checks are required for everyone receiving a coaches shirt. Failure will result in ejection from games until completed forms are received by the league.
7. Basic team equipment shall be provided by the league and distributed to each Head Coach who shall sign for the equipment and return it at the completion of each season. The Head Coach shall be responsible for any equipment not returned.
8. The league does not provide paid Scorekeepers. The team listed first on the schedule will be the home team; the visiting team will bat first. The home team will take the 3rd base dugout, operate the scoreboard and keep the official scorebook. A responsible adult should be assigned these tasks.
9. Players are not required to tuck shirts into shorts or pants but shorts must be visible beneath shirts. No tank tops, sleeveless shirts or midriff exposing shirts allowed during practice or games. Shorts must be fingertip length (fingertip length does not include the length of sliders). If you are going to be a ballplayer you need to look like one.
10. No metal cleats allowed.
11. Batting helmets with faceguards are required for batters and base runners during practice and games. It is mandatory that all TeeBall pitchers wear a helmet with face mask. It is mandatory that all 7-9 pitchers wear a game face or helmet with a face mask. It is strongly recommended that all 10-18 pitchers wear a game face for their protection. Catchers of all ages must wear a chest protector and batting helmet with face mask.
12. Coaches are required to check www.murfreesborosoftball.com on each day they are scheduled to play. Important schedule, event changes and make up dates will be listed there. Rainout info will be posted as soon as possible after 3:00 p.m.
13. Make up games are only rescheduled as time permits and at the discretion of the League Director.
14. If a team is going to forfeit and not show up you must notify your Commissioner and the other Coach at least 1 day in advance.
15. Game length will be 55 minutes or 6 innings. The umpire will keep the official time clock and will announce the starting time to each team.
16. There will be no extra innings played except during tournament play. The home team will finish the inning regardless of time if the game can be tied or won with 8 runs.
17. The distance between bases shall be 60 feet. Pitching distance will be 30’ for TeeBall, 35’ for 7-9, 40’ for 10-12 and 43’ for 13-18.
18. Regulation 11” ASA or USSSA certified balls will be used.
19. A safety base for 1st base will be used.
20. Dugout gates must be closed during live play.
21. A team may start and finish a game with only 8 players without penalty. The last spot will not count as an out.
22. If 8 players are not present for a game you may go one age group below within the league in fast or slow pitch to pick up a player, to qualify a minimum of 6 players from the team must be present. You can only pick up enough players to make a 10 player team (Example: 7 players arrive for the game, pickup 3 to total 10 players. Pick up players must play in the outfield and bat last in the order. TeeBall can pick up a player in the same age group with approval from the Commissioner. Players arriving after a game begins may only be added to the bottom of the batting lineup if their team has not already batted through the lineup.
23. If your starting pitcher is not present for a game you may pick up a pitcher within the same age group with approval from the Commissioner. The starting pitcher can bat anywhere in the order. This rule applies to 10-18 only.
24. A maximum of 5 warm up pitches are allowed before the start of an inning.
25. A team may play with 4 outfielders.
26. Coaches should make an effort to rotate players as much as time and innings allow. No player can sit out for 2 consecutive innings per game.
27. Complete and free substitution is allowed. A player may enter and leave the game at any time. However, the player must remain in the same place in the batting order. This includes the pitcher.
28. An injured or ill player may return to play at the discretion of the Head Umpire or Commissioner. There will be no out counted if the player is unable to bat.
29. A continuous batting order will be used. All players will bat regardless of number of players on either team. An inning will consist of 3 outs or a 5 run limit. On the play that scores the 5th run any and all runs that score will be counted for a maximum of 8 potential runs per inning however once the lead runner is stopped time will be called regardless of the number of outs.
30. If a batter bats out of order and gets on base the batter may be called out before the next pitch.
31. Slinging the bat is an automatic out after 1 warning per game, not per team.
32. Pinch runners are allowed for injured players only. If the pinch runner is on base at the time of her bat she will be called out at the plate.
33. Coaches pitch to their own teams from the rubber or may elect to pitch 5’ in front of the nearest rubber or 5’ behind the same rubber. 30’ minimum for TeeBall only.
34. All infielders must be in position in the field of play. All outfielders must be positioned in the grass and not inside the infield. The pitcher shall be behind or beside the coach pitcher. TeeBall and 7-9 must stay behind their pitcher at all times. No bowling type throws are allowed.
35. No infield fly rule applies to TeeBall or 7-9 but does apply to 10-18. An infield fly is a fair fly ball, not including a line drive or attempted bunt which can be caught by an infield, pitcher or catcher with ordinary effort when 1st and 2nd or 1st, 2nd and 3rd bases are occupied with less than 2 outs. There is judgement by the umpire as to what ordinary effort is. The ball must be fair. Sometimes if it is close to fair / foul the umpire will say “Infield fly, the batter is out if fair” or something to that effect. The intention of the rule is to protect the runners. Even if the ball is not caught the batter is out. If caught or the ball hits the ground runners can advance at their own risk. An infield fly is not a dead ball.
36. No foul language will be permitted and will result in automatic suspension from the game.
37. No physical or verbal confrontation among coaches, parents or players will be tolerated at any time on or off league playing facilities and is subject to suspension from the league.
38. The Umpire’s decision is final. Only a Head Coach or acting Head Coach (in the event HC is absent) shall be allowed to address the umpire. Coaches may not argue with the Umpire’s decision or question a judgement call, only potential Rule Violations may be discussed by the Head Coach calling time out and addressing the Umpire. Umpires will give a single warning to Coaches, Parents and Players followed by an ejection from the game. Poor or argumentative conduct shall result in a review with the Head Umpire, League Director, Division Commissioner and League Commissioner for future coaching, playing or spectating status within the league and is subject to suspension from one or more games up to permanent suspension from the league.
39. Chain of Command is as follows: Parent/Player to Head Coach – Head Coach to Division Commissioner – Division Commissioner to League Commissioner – League Commissioner to League Director – Exception: if a Parent / Player has a complaint regarding their Head Coach they may report directly to the Division Commissioner.
40. All other rules are in accordance with USSSA rules and good common sense.
1. If the batter is being pitched to by the coach pitcher the batter is allowed 6 pitches. If the coach desires he may elect to bring out the tee after the 2nd strike or 4th pitch and have the batter hit off the tee. This gives the batter 2 chances to hit off the tee.
2. All players are allowed on defense. 2 Coaches allowed in the outfield grass, 1 on the right and 1 on the left side of the field.
3. Coach pitch from 30’.
4. No infield fly rule applies.
5. No walks allowed.
6. Overthrow to 1st base results in dead ball with 1 base awarded per runner.
7. No bowling type throws are allowed.
8. Ball must touch 3’ arc line to be fair.
1. Coach pitch from 35’ pitch rubber. 6 pitches or 4 strikes.
2. No walks allowed.
3. No bowling type throws allowed.
4. No infield fly rule applies.
1. Player pitch from 40’ pitcher rubber.
2. Infield fly rule applies
1. Player pitch from 43’ pitcher rubber.
2. Infield fly rule applies.